Working on some comics…
“I’m not a fucking genius. I work my ass off. Hamilton could have written what I wrote in about three weeks. That’s genius. It took me a very long time to wrestle this onto the stage, to even be able to understand the worldviews of the characters that inhabit my show, and then be able to distill that.” — Lin-Manuel Miranda
“Men give me credit for some genius. All the genius I have lies in this; when I have a subject in hand, I study it profoundly. Day and night it is before me. My mind becomes pervaded with it. Then the effort that I have made is what people are pleased to call the fruit of genius. It is the fruit of labor and thought.” — Alexander Hamilton
IT GOT BETTER
Happy Fourth of July!
Have a Hamilton GIF :D
This one scene was formative for me in ways I can scarcely describe. I wanted Kingsley’s character to win. Every time I watch it I still hope he will.
you guys remember when PETA stole people pets off their porches and euthanized them?
you guys remember how it came out that PETA kills about 90% of the animals it takes in, including healthy and adoptable puppies and kittens, stating “ We could become a no-kill shelter immediately. It means we wouldn’t do as much work”?
you guys remember when PETA advocated killing all pit bulls for the crime of being pit bulls?
you guys remember when PETA handed out these comics to children when there were no adults looking?
you guys remember when they made a porn site and then filled it with videos of animal abuse, and (also in that link) claimed cats should be vegetarian?
you guys remember when they tried to excuse their horrifying ways by claiming that the person who exposed them was manipulating the facts by taking them and putting them in the wrong context?
Because I remember. I remember everything.
And I’m gonna make sure everyone else remembers too.
Why would they kill pit bulls they’re sweeties
Because PETA does not care about animals. they do not care that these dogs live and breathe and feel and want love like every other dog. they do not care about the history of human/dog bonding and co-evolution, they do not care that dogs and human beings have relied on each other for millennia, they do not care that its cruel and morally repugnant to put down an animal just because you can, they do not care about animals.
PETA cares about money and publicity, its a corporation run by a psychopath who is afraid of pitts as it states in the link: she was apparently bit by one, and now she hates them.
PETA doesn’t give a rats ass about animals. They just want to kill and make money off of idiots who fall of their spiel.
Some celebs support them
ah c’mon, dear-tumb1r, I think you’re being a bit harsh. I mean, okay, PETA’s done some questionable things, but it’s not like they’ve also
-used a young man’s brutal death as a way to say “yeah that’s awful but it happens to animals every day and nobody cares about that” (tw: no pictures but the way the guy died is described and it is really horrible)
-and they definitely didn’t have two of their workers accept perfectly healthy animals from an animal hospital, with the implication that they would give them good homes, clarify that these animals were all healthy and well-tempered, and then euthanized them all in the back of a kill-van before dumping their dead bodies behind a grocery store (tw: PICTURES OF DEAD ANIMALS, animal death)
-and they totally didn’t get off pretty much scot-free for it because PETA has loads of money and lawyers to defend themselves, which coincidentally might be why the Cerate family hasn’t seen justice for their kidnapped and murdered dog, Maya. (tw: animal death)
Nah. PETA’s not that bad.
(/the heaviest of all my fucking sarcasm, I am salty as a fucking winter road, lord do I fucking hate PETA)
Did you think i was fucking joking, PETA?
I will make sure everyone fucking remembers what you’ve done.
Bringing it back, because it’s charity season and people need to know NOT to give charity to these fuckers.
PETA: “It’s actually about ethics in animal treatment…”
PETA: making vegans look like psychopathic, intellectually dishonest shitheads since 1980.
Progress was made quickly after the team committed to an adult discussion.
‘Ultimately,’ Rogers remarked, ‘I don’t agree. But I get why Tony’s concerned.’
‘Thanks Cap. You raise compelling points yourself.’
‘Sure is complicated,’ sighed Rhodes.
‘A proposal,’ said the Vision, having been quiet. ‘If the accords fail to address the full complexity of our context, might we reply with an alternative?’
Wilson looked up. ‘You’re saying negotiate?’
‘Could work,’ said Stark. Rogers nodded.
‘Well,’ replied Romanov. ‘Thank God that didn’t escalate.’”
- If The Avengers Had Basic Emotional Skills
Netflix launched a site late Wednesday night called Fast.com, where — in one click — anyone browsing the internet can see how fast their internet speed is. Although it’s great for consumers, some internet providers might not be happy about the new website.
Netflix didn’t invent that it’s been around
Netflix didn’t invent speed checks, but this site is Netflix’s.
Okay, so here’s why Netflix speedtest is so brilliant.
Most of us know about Speedtest.net, right? Well Comcast and Time Warner know about it too. They know customers use it to check to see if they’re getting what they are paying for. Comcast techs even tell customers to check their speed with Speedtest.net.
So, to make sure people think they are getting good speeds, Comcast and Time Warner prioritize traffic going to Speedtest.net. When you check your speed there it’s artificially inflated. That is NOT the speed you are getting when you browse tumblr and that is definitely not the speed you get when you watch Netflix.
Comcast and Time Warner can not artificially inflate the results by prioritizing traffic to Fast.net unless they also prioritize traffic to Netflix, and they definitely do not want to do that.
That is so fucking slimy. Good for Netflix
A Brief History of Mainstream Comics in America
by Darwyn Cooke
“David Icke’s claim that the world was run by a cabal of extra-dimensional lizard people is, of course, ridiculous. But as anyone who’s seen the inside of a department meeting can tell you, it’s still more plausible than the idea that academia runs the world, so let’s go with it.”
- Probable start of “Lizard People, Dear Reader.” If you want to read more, my Kickstarter needs to hit $10k. So either back it, reblog this, or both. :)
- You are not about to say all Jews are white, are you? They are not. Historically Jewish groups such as the Sephardim and Mizrahim are not white. According to all movements of Judaism every person a Jew gives birth to is 100% Jewish, regardless of the race of either parent.
- You are not about to suggest that Jews outside the United States are white, are you? Using only terms like “white” and “of color” to define racial boundaries is a US-specific phenomenon rooted in the unique way slavery manifested itself in the country. In Europe it was a white supremacist ideology that motivated the genocide of Jews.
- You are not about to refer to European Jews as “white Jews”, are you? “White Jews” is a term that European antisemites applied to gentiles who were sympathetic to Jews during the Holocaust. When people apply it to European Jews, they are racializing them and de-Judaizing them. (Note: If you doubt the points made after Question 2 above, ask yourself how anyone would have thought to refer to gentiles as white Jews if they considered Jews white.)
- You are not about to suggest that Ashkenazi Jews originated in Europe, are you? To do so would be to regurgitate a pseudo-scientific claim that some have used to deny Jews their heritage while appropriating it for themselves.
- You are not about to imply that US-based hate groups such as the Ku Klux Klan think of Jews as white, are you? They definitely do not.
- You are not about to deny the history of forced assimilation that has brought about the situation in which many Jews have light skin, are you?
- You are not about to try to make a distinction between people who are “religiously” Jewish and people who are “ethnically” Jewish, are you? Such a distinction has no basis in history, in anthropology, or in Jewish law.
- You are not about to suggest that to be Jewish is to have an invisible oppression, are you? Because many Jews share genes or share a culture, many Jews have characteristics that can be used to identify them as Jews.
- You are not about to minimize the oppression of Jews to make a point about a different oppression, are you? All oppression, including horizontal oppression, is deplorable. The only way to win the Oppression Olympics is not to play.
I like this post, but just something that should be considered: “You are not about to say all Jews are white, are you? They are not. Historically Jewish groups such as the Sephardim and Mizrahim are not white.“
Historically we aren’t white in the same way which Ashkenazim aren’t white in some situations and places. But there are, and this is not actually uncommon, Sephardim (especially Sephardim) and Mizrahim who are white — in the broad definition of white (N.B.: I am not saying that they are white European).
This sometimes becomes a problem for white Sephardim and Mizrahim who others (outsiders to our communities almost always) keep taunting, saying that they aren’t Sephardi/Mizrahi because they’re white. Which is absolutely ridiculous.
Some of my family members look super Ashkenazi (they’re thought to be Ashkenazi when they come to Canada, or when they travel elsewhere), and some others look just super white (like, non-Jewish white white white)… We’re all Sephardi/Mizrahi/Maghrebi. :P
But here’s what I really, really, really like (one of them, because the post is good) @faithfulimage:
Using only terms like “white” and “of color” to define racial boundaries is a US-specific phenomenon rooted in the unique way slavery manifested itself in the country.
The term “of colour” is not universal, and is not interchangeable with “not white.”
The only Jews who I personally consider to be white are gentile converts to Judaism who are of European origin and descent.And even then, once people find out that they’re Jewish, they lose white privilege.
There’s a difference between white and White.
But I’m reblogging this so your considerations are visible to others, too.
In the style of JL8, Little Sherlock wherein a 5-year-old Great Detective is constantly annoyed by the condescending stupidity of everyone around him.
Just found this online more-or-less by accident – a PDF of the original English translations of Borges’ collected fiction, in the versions Borges worked on and approved during his lifetime.
After Borges’ death, his widow fell out with the translator, took these versions out of print, and commissioned the inferior translations which are in print now…
Somewhat puzzled by this - I believe the original translation of “Funes, His Memory” was “Funes the Memorious.” (Which is apparently less accurate, but clearly better.)
The Andrew Hurley translations here are the version that’s in print. This is just a pirated copy of the currently in print version of the book.
I was going to write up a little essay about the way Hamilton incorporates Brechtian performance techniques and whether Brecht still packs any punch in the twenty-first century.
But then for some reason it became a rap battle instead.
Proceed at your own risk.
Oh my god you guys musical theatre commentary IN THE FORM OF A RAP BATTLE ARE YOU KIDDING ME
This is amazing
Watched: Hail, Caesar! Fun Coen bros romp if not their best film, love letter to classic Hollywood. Reminded me of the Hudsucker Proxy.
Watched: The Magicians ep 4. Variation on a Buffy premise, veering ever farther from the books. Still, the shows clearly having a lot of fun with its universe and I like it.
Read: continued reading First Last Snow, forth of Max Gladstone’s wonderful magical universe novels. Finding this one slower than previous volumes but still masterfully written.
Read: continued ongoing study re-read of The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, one of my favorite novels, to take it apart and see how it works.
- "Saul, Again" (Caped)
- "The Spine of Worlds" (Kaleidotrope)
- "Judges' Cave" (Lakeside Circus)
- "Trials of the Dead King" (LORE)
- "Logos Ex Machina" (365 Tomorrows)
- Loghorrhea Edited by John Klima (New Haven Review)
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Literary Kicks)
- Why Robin Sloan is the Future of Publishing (and Science Fiction) (io9)
- Weird Comics (comiXology Blog)